"We are passionate about helping our people achieve their potential and we are honored to be recognized as a great place to work," noted Nancy Altobello, Ernst & Young's Americas Vice Chair of People. "In tough economic times, our competitive advantage is our people. By providing an inclusive and flexible work environment with the right blend of experiences, learning, and coaching, we believe we can provide the best possible service to our clients. And, just as important, our people can reach both their personal and professional goals."
Ernst & Young offers a wide range of programs and benefits to help make people's busy lives easier, including concierge services, a working parents' network, and leading-edge parental leave benefits. Highlights of other new people programs over the past year include:
- Conducted an internal survey to identify commonalities and differences among generations. Findings showed that Boomers and Generations X and Y agree on what's most important to them in their careers: opportunities to learn and grow, flexibility, a culture of respect and the chance to play a leadership role.
- Piloted a program that encourages teams to examine how they work together. Team Acceleration involves diagnostics and action plans to help move teams toward greater cohesion and efficiency.
- Developed a program for leaders on "Implicit Bias Awareness" to help key decision-makers become aware of how unintended biases can affect decisions such as promotion, account assignments and staffing.
- Formalized the commitment to reducing EY's environmental impact by naming an Americas Director of Environmental Sustainability.
- Continued to embed corporate responsibility into various aspects of Ernst & Young's business strategy with a goal of aggregating individual efforts to make even more of a positive impact on communities and on the world, with a focus on the "three E's" of education, entrepreneurship, and the environment.
Ernst & Young continually seeks ways to foster and maintain its unique culture. Over the next two years, the firm will also be deploying a unique global career development framework called EYU. EYU stands for Ernst & Young and you, reflecting the mutual commitment the firm has to supporting its people, and the commitment EY people have to owning their own career.
In his FORTUNE.com blog, Managing Editor Andy Serwer writes, "No matter what happens with the economy, the demand for talent will remain. Great companies know that super-motivated, happy, world-class employees are an incredible competitive advantage."
To pick the "100 Best Companies to Work For," FORTUNE works with Robert Levering and Milton Moskowitz of the Great Place to Work(R) Institute -- a global research and consulting firm with offices in 30 countries -- to conduct the most extensive employee survey in corporate America.
More than 81,000 employees from 353 companies responded to the 57-question survey created by the Institute. Two-thirds of a company's score is based on the survey, which is sent to a minimum of 400 randomly selected employees. The remaining third is based on a company's responses to the Culture Audit questionnaire, which asks detailed questions about demographics, pay and benefits, and open-ended questions on philosophy, communication and more.
Any company that is at least seven years old with more the 1,000 U.S. employees is eligible to be included on the list. The deadline for applying for next year's list is March 31, 2009. For an online nomination form, go to www.greatplacetowork-100best.com.
FORTUNE is a global leader in business journalism with a worldwide circulation of more than 1 million and a readership of nearly 5 million, with major franchises including the FORTUNE 500 and the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For. FORTUNE Live Media extends the brand's mission into live settings, hosting a wide range of annual conferences, including the FORTUNE Global Forum. FORTUNE magazine's online home is CNNMoney.com, the most visited and utilized business destination website.
About Ernst & Young
Ernst & Young is a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services. Worldwide, our 135,000 people are united by our shared values and an unwavering commitment to quality. We make a difference by helping our people, our clients and our wider communities achieve their potential.
For more information, please visit www.ey.com.